Masters in Professional Counseling
The Master in Professional Counseling program allows you to become a trained mental health counselor competent in today's multicultural society. Graduates from the program are eligible to meet the requirements to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Texas. Classes are offered during evenings and weekends and the program takes about 36 months to complete.
- April 15 - Summer Semester (or early decision Fall Semester)
- June 15 - Fall Semester (or early decision Spring Semester)
- October 15 - Spring Semester (or early decision Summer Semester)
2012-2013 Interview Dates
- October 26, 2012
- April 26, 2013
- June 28, 2013
Critera for admission include:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college of university
- At least 18 hours in psychology, counseling, or related courses.
- Coursework must include at least one statistics course and one human development (child, adolescent, adulthood or life span) course.
- Each applicant must meet one of the following three academic requirements:
- An overall 3.00 GPA or greater on a 4.0 scale, or a GPA of 3.25 or greater on a 4.0 scale on last 60 hours attempted.
- A GRE score of 900 or greater (combined score on verbal and one other subtest or equivalent score on tests administered after November 1, 2011) is required.
- Mental Health casework and/or field experience, evaluated by current resume or vita, including outstanding recommendations by other professionals, may be evaluated for admission. A minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale is required to be considered on this criterion.
- Interview with the Admission Committee.
- The interview should give evidence to the faculty that the applicant possesses the intellectual, professional, emotional and social qualities needed to complete the degree
Consideration for admission to the Counseling graduate program is contingent upon submission of the following items:
- A non-refundable application fee of $50
- An official transcript from each institution of higher education attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose Essay
- Background Check
- GRE official score report (if GPA requirements not met)
Tuition & Financial Aid
Counseling Education cost per credit hour (2011-2012)
| General Fee:
| Technology Fee:
| Tuition & Fee Total:
Estimated total cost of attendance for 48 hour program is $35,000. Not including books and living expenditures.
Financial aid is available to eligible applicants through several federal loan programs. In addition, the University offers extended payment plans and direct company billing. Students interested in applying for financial aid through these programs should request a financial aid packet from the Financial Aid Office. They can be called at (817) 531-4420.