| Position Type:
||IT Business Services
| Reports To:
||Associate CIO and IT Business Services Director (Brigitte Mudukuti)
| FLSA Status:
Click here for how to apply
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Plans and manages the day-to-day activities of the Business Intelligence Analyst(s).
- Coordinates and supervises all activities related to the design, development, and implementation of the organization's BI function.
- Assigns tasks and coordinates BI support activities.
- Organizes and leads BI software tools and systems implementation and adoption efforts.
- Merges BI platforms with enterprise systems and other applications.
- Performs data analysis using statistical techniques and measures.
- Prepares and delivers decision support reports to internal customers.
- Designs, codes, tests, and documents all new or modified BI systems, applications, and programs.
- Develops the semantic layer, metadata, reports, and report definitions.
- Develops dashboards, graphs and portal interfaces.
- Creates Dashboards and other Business Intelligence items using SSAS, SharePoint 2010, BIDS and SQL Server Data Tools.
- Interprets results using a variety of techniques, ranging from simple data aggregation via statistical analysis to complex data mining.
- Assists in the design of databases and data warehouses to ensure interoperability with BI solutions.
- Analyzes user requirements and, based on findings, designs functional specifications for BI front-end applications.
- Produces design guidelines to ensure a manageable BI infrastructure.
- Designs and delivers end-user training and training materials; provides technical support as necessary.
- Troubleshoots BI tools, systems, and software; performance-tunes these applications as necessary.
- Conducts research and makes recommendations on BI products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Establishes data accuracy and validity derived from a variety of systems.
- Monitors and reports on team performance.
- Delivers clear, concise, and accurate written and verbal communications related to applications support activities to the Director.
- Develops, documents, and implements internal processes to ensure effective, efficient service delivery.
- Assists Director in establishing and implementing standards that facilitate reliable, high quality information systems.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of information technology, database and systems administration; incorporates new developments as appropriate.
- Serves as a consultant on various projects; reviews and inspects work related to applications support and development; resolves service problems and communicates with users to determine immediate and future needs.
- Analyzes the business needs of employees to help identify business problems and propose solutions.
- Documents requirements and formulates systems to parallel overall business strategies.
- Provides user training on the administrative system and business applications.
- Other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises employees responsible for BI support and programming. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the University's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field and 5+ years of experience working with statistical business intelligence and reporting tools to develop and deliver reports required. Candidates possessing an Associate’s degree and 10+ years of experience may be considered. In-depth knowledge of the Unidata database file structure and programming experience in T-SQL, Ellucian’s Envision or Colleague Studio a plus. Two years’ experience in a supervisory role is preferred.
MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer certification highly desirable. EDUCAUSE Institute Management Program completion certificate or equivalent a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge of data retrieval and reporting techniques.
- Knowledge of Data Warehousing fundamentals.
- Knowledge of statistics and data interpretation.
- Knowledge of SQL database, SQL Server, T-SQL, SSRS, SSIS and SSAS.
- Familiarity with MS SharePoint.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of data processing, systems analysis, and office automation.
- Familiarity with programming methods and procedures, documentation procedures, program flow charts, and operator instructions.
- Ability to create BI Dashboards and Reports from SSAS and other databases using BIDS, Sharepoint and SQL Server Data Tools.
- Ability to understand and work with complex data sets.
- Ability to use ODBC to query data in central database systems with current desktop software (MS Office).
- Great attention to detail with an eye towards accuracy.
- Ability to listen actively and demonstrate understanding of others’ perspectives.
- Ability to welcome and acknowledge the diverse ideas and input of others.
- Ability to collaborate with others by maintaining a respectful, open-minded approach.
- Ability to help others when needed and contribute productively to team goals.
- Ability to recognize and acknowledge the value of others’ contributions.
- Ability to seek opportunities to develop your own skills and engage in continuous learning.
- Ability to provide honest, helpful feedback and guidance where appropriate to enhance others’ skill development.
- Ability to share your own experience and expertise with others.
- Ability to treat every individual with dignity, fairness, and respect.
- Ability to demonstrate consistency between what is said and what is done.
- Ability to earn the respect of others by continually delivering on commitments.
- Ability to accurately convey the facts without bias.
- Ability to do the right thing and confront and report unethical behavior.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and office atmosphere.
- Strong organizational & time-management skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to provide individual and group-based seminar/workshop hardware/software training.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to follow standard office practices and procedures.
- Ability to follow University and departmental office procedures/policies.
- Ability to use discretion in handling confidential matters.
- Ability to work well under stressful conditions.
- Ability to work in teams and lead multidisciplinary members.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, and climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to move about and between campuses freely, including all offices and classroom areas.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Evening/weekend hours as required.
To apply for an open faculty or staff position please send a current resume and a cover letter indicating position desired to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or Office of Human Resources, Texas Wesleyan University, 1201 Wesleyan, Fort Worth, TX 76105.