Theatre department announces auditions for 65th annual musical 'Avenue Q'
Theatre Wesleyan has announced auditions for the 65th annual spring musical Avenue Q. Winner of the Tony "Triple Crown" for Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book, Avenue Q is part flesh, part felt and packed with heart. Filled with gut-busting humor and a delightfully catchy score, not to mention puppets, Avenue Q is a truly unique show that has quickly become a favorite for audiences everywhere. Although the show addresses humorous adult issues, it is similar to a beloved children's show; a place where puppets are friends, monsters are good and life lessons are learned.
Music by Robert Lopez & Jeff Marx
Book by Jeff Whitty
Based on an original concept by Robert Lopez & Jeff Marx
Director: Bryan Stevenson
Musical Director: Michael Plantz
Audition Date & Time: Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019 starting at 10:30 a.m.
Callback Date & Time: Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019 starting at 3:00 p.m.
Location: Thad Smotherman Theatre
Please sign up for an Audition Time Slot using the link: https://tinyurl.com/TWUAVEQ
- Please enter the Lobby through the ramp door on the north side of the building. Sign-in instructions will be available upon your arrival.
- Please prepare a 32-bar in the style of Avenue Q, or a role that is appropriate for your type. If you wish to be considered for any puppet role, you are expected to perform your selection with a puppet, which will be provided at the auditions.
- Prepare a clean copy of your sheet music in the correct key with your START and STOP clearly marked. A guest accompanist will attend, but will not transpose.
- Prepare to audition with sides from the script. Sides will be available in the Theatre Business Office no later than Jan. 16, 2019. Email firstname.lastname@example.org after Wednesday, Jan. 16th.
- Be prepared to fill out or bring a completed audition form upon arrival, with a list of all personal/work conflicts between February 25 and April 28, including family events or vacations, spring break, Easter break, and conferences like ACTF, USITT, etc. Forms will be available at the auditions.
If you are unable to attend the audition on Saturday, Jan. 26th please contact the director by Wednesday, Jan. 23rd, we will do our best to accommodate. Email email@example.com.
Monday, Feb. 25 – Sunday, April 28
- Regular Rehearsal Schedule
- Weekday evenings from 7 – 11 p.m. at TXWES beginning Monday, Feb. 25
- Saturdays and/or Sundays TBD upon cast availability
- Tech Rehearsals from Thursday, April 18 – Saturday, April 20
- Dress Rehearsals from Monday, April 22 – Wednesday, April 24
- Closing/Strike on Sunday, April 28
- Holidays & Breaks/TXWES Closings
- Spring Break will be Monday, March 11 – Friday, March 15.
- Easter Break will be Thursday, April 18 & Friday, April 19.
- Easter is on Sunday, April 21.
April 25-28, 2019 (4 performances) at the Thad Smotherman Theatre
- Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday (4/28 only) at 2 p.m.
Princeton: A fresh-faced kid just out of college and the protagonist. Puppet.
Gender: male | Age: 20 to 25
Vocal range top: G4 | Vocal range bottom: Bb2
Kate Monster:A Kindergarten teaching assistant, who is a bit older than Princeton. Puppet.
Gender: female | Age: 25 to 30
Vocal range top: F5 | Vocal range bottom: F#3
Nicky: A slacker who lives with Rod. Puppet.
Gender: male | Age: 20 to 30
Vocal range top: B4 | Vocal range bottom: B2
Rod: An investment banker who is Republican and a closeted homosexual. Puppet.
Gender: male | Age: 25 to 30
Vocal range top: G4 | Vocal range bottom: A2
Trekkie Monster: A reclusive creature obsessed with the Internet and all it has to offer. Puppet.
Gender: male | Age: 30 to 40
Vocal range top: Eb4 | Vocal range bottom: Bb2
Lucy: A vixenish vamp with a dangerous edge. Puppet.
Gender: female | Age: 25 to 30
Vocal range top: F5 | Vocal range bottom: F3
The Bad Idea Bears: Two snuggly, cute teddy-bear types. Puppets.
Gender: female | Age: 20 to 40
Vocal range top: G4 | Vocal range bottom: Bb3
Mrs. T: Crabby and ancient. Kate's boss. Puppet.
Gender: female | Age: 50 to 65
Brian: A laid-back guy married to Christmas Eve. Human.
Gender: male | Age: 30 to 45
Vocal range top: F#4 | Vocal range bottom: B2
Christmas Eve: A therapist who recently moved to Avenue Q from Japan. Human.
Gender: female | Age: 30 to 45
Vocal range top: F#5 | Vocal range bottom: B3
Gary Coleman: Yes, that Gary Coleman. Superintendent of the apartment buildings. Human.
Gender: female | Age: 30 to 40
Vocal range top: Bb5 | Vocal range bottom: D3