Theatre Wesleyan now accepting submissions for Playmarket in New York City
Theatre Wesleyan is seeking submissions of new full-length one-act plays to be presented at the Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre in May 2017 as part of the department's long-running Playmarket program.
The selection procedure for The Wesleyan PLAYMARKET 2017 is a 6-month process. We will notify you by email when we have received your submission. However, due to the volume of entries, no individual responses or critiques will be possible.
Due to limited resources, Texas Wesleyan cannot cover the cost of your travel or housing if you are a winning playwright. However, an honorarium will be awarded.
All entries should be emailed to email@example.com by Oct. 15, 2016. The winning playwright(s) will be notified by Feb. 16, 2017.
The Wesleyan PLAYMARKET 2017 Submission Guidelines
Rules for Submission:
- All Texas Wesleyan University alumni & current students are eligible to enter.
- Entries will be accepted via email from Sept. 1 through Oct. 15, 2016.
- Playwrights should submit their work electronically as a PDF*.
- Each playwright may submit up to three (3) scripts. Separate emails are required for each submission.
- The play(s) should be unpublished, in English, and must not have been previously performed, excluding workshop readings & Theatre Wesleyan productions.
- The play(s) may be either full length or one act and should have a reading time of 45-115 minutes.
- Screenplays or teleplays, translations of another work, individual ten-minute plays, and musicals are not eligible. Ten minute/short plays may be submitted as a unified group as long as the work meets all other requirements.
- The number of actors needed for the reading should not exceed seven (7), although the actual cast size is unlimited. (Note: the reading of stage directions counts as one (1) actor.)
- Work previously submitted (but not selected for presentation) for Playmarket NYC may be resubmitted.
- All entries will first be judged blind by a screening panel of Texas Wesleyan University Faculty, Staff, Alumni and/or Students as well as professionals in the field not directly associated with the University. Selected scripts will then be submitted to the final judges in New York.
By submitting a script, each playwright agrees to accept and abide by these rules and to attend the reading in New York in May 2017 should their work be chosen as the winning script.
Submissions should include:
An email message with the script PDF attached. The email should also include the following within the body of the email message:
- The title of the play, playwright’s name and all contact information (including phone numbers, email address, mailing address)
- Dated statement that the play is not under contract for production, has not been published or previously produced (except by Theatre Wesleyan)
- 50-150 word synopsis (not a promotional teaser)
- 50-100 word playwright's bio
- Statement that the playwright will attend the New York reading should their work be chosen for presentation
The attached PDF should be labeled only with the script's title and contain the following:
- An anonymous title page with no playwright identification
- Character breakdown and given circumstances
- The play itself with no playwright information
- The script should be in standard playscript format in 12 point Times New Roman (or similar) font. Simplified:
- Dialogue is single-spaced
- Double space between character speeches
- Indent or center the character names
- Stage directions should be italicized
- Page numbers and the play’s title should appear at the top of each page
- The playwright's name should not appear anywhere in the PDF.
*Please go to http://www.adobe.com if you need assistance converting a Word document to PDF.