Theatre Wesleyan takes home two awards at American College Theatre Festival
The Kennedy Center has announced the national awards for the American College Theater Festival, and Theatre Wesleyan's production of the student-written play In and Between by Logan Rodgers received two honors.
The play was honored as a Distinguished Production of a New or Devised Work, and director Connie Whitt-Lambert was named as a Distinguished Director of a Play.
In and Between was selected for presentation at the Regional Festival last month as one of only six invited productions from our region (Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Missouri, Louisiana and Arkansas). The production has received more than 20 awards at the state, regional and national level.
In and Between was directed by Connie Whitt-Lambert with technical direction by Bryan Stevenson. Featured in the cast were Kaila Saffle, Jacob Myers and Jeremy Jackson.
Kelsey Manuel served as stage manager, and the design team included Heather O'Donnell (scenic/properties designer), Kaila Saffle (costume design), Jonathan Jones (lighting design), Bryan Stevenson (sound design), Madalyn Russell (graphic design), Chris Willmer (light board operator) and Jorge Flores (sound board operator).
The following is a complete list of Theatre Wesleyan's national, regional and state awards received since October 2014.
Announced by the Kennedy Center, March 19, 2015
- Distinguished Production of a New or Devised Work: In and Between written by student Logan Rodgers, directed by Connie Whitt-Lambert, technical direction by Bryan Stevenson.
The company included: actors Kaila Saffle, Jacob Myers, Jeremy Jackson; stage manager Kelsey Manuel, Heather O'Donnell (scenic/properties designer), Kaila Saffle (costume design), Jonathan Jones (lighting design), Bryan Stevenson (sound design), Madalyn Russell (graphic design), Chris Willmer (light board operator) and Jorge Flores (sound board operator).
Only 4 productions from across the country were selected to receive this honor.
- Distinguished Director of a Play: Connie Whitt-Lambert
Only 6 directors from across the country were selected for this award.
Presented at the Regional Festival at Angelo State University, Feb. 28, 2015
- Recognition for Invited Production: In and Between (only six productions were selected for presentation at the Regional Festival)
- Best Load-In/Out
- Excellence in Theatre Graphic Design: Jacob Rivera-Sanchez (The Drowsy Chaperone)
- Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas Award for Lighting, including admission for a Summer 2015 session in Las Vegas: Jonathan David Jones (Sylvia)
- Irene Ryan Acting Scholarship Semi-Finalist: Kaila Saffle
State Festival Awards
Presented at the KCACTF Texas State Festival at TCC-SE on Oct. 25, 2014
- Directors' Choice: In and Between (selected as the best production at the Festival by the directors of all productions at the Festival)
- Excellence in Playwriting: Logan Rodgers
- Irene Ryan Acting nominations for student actors: Kaila Saffle, Jacob Myers and Jeremy Jackson
- Excellence in Design Awards for students: Heather O'Donnell (scenery), Heather O'Donnell (properties), Kaila Saffle (costumes), Jonathan Jones (lighting)
- Excellence in Stage Management: Kelsey Manuel
- Honor Crew Awards: Kelsey Manuel, Jorge Flores, Chris Willmer
- Excellence in Festival Lighting Design: Faculty designer Bryan Stevenson
Texas Wesleyan University also received an award for Excellence in Supporting New Work.