About the internship
The Summer Science Research Internship program is sponsored by the Welch Foundation (Chemistry Department) and the Redlich Trust (Biology Department). This support brings undergraduate students together during the summer at Texas Wesleyan for an eight-week natural sciences research experience. Participants become familiar with the varied disciplines and methodology used in natural science research.
This year, topics in organic and electrochemistry, biochemistry, community and population ecology are offered to six students that have completed introductory coursework in biology and chemistry. Students awarded the summer research internship are expected to work eight-hour days, five days per week for eight weeks. Compensation is $10.10 an hour. The program begins at 8 a.m. June 3 and lasts through Wednesday, July 31, 2019.
- Library and electronic research techniques
- Preparation for research
- Engagement with faculty mentors
- Research presentation skills
- Information and strategies for financial support in graduate school
- Advice on selecting a graduate school
During the internship you will:
- Work with a faculty mentor whose research interests are related to their own;
- Write a paper based on the intern’s research results, that can be presented at a regional or national meeting
- Develop a computer-assisted oral presentation and a research poster to be presented at the conclusion of the program and that can be presented at a national conference
- Compete for a cash prize at the end of the summer research experience.
Students that have completed at least their freshman year, have a 2.5 cumulative grade point average, are majoring in biology, biochemistry, chemistry or other life science discipline and have the intention of pursuing education beyond the bachelor’s level are encouraged to apply.
How do I apply?
Submit the following information in a Microsoft Word document by email on or before April 16, 2019. Attach it to an email and send it to email@example.com. Specify in the subject line you are submitting an application for summer research at Texas Wesleyan University.
- Name, current major and overall GPA
- List all college-level math and science courses you have completed by May 2019.
- Provide the names of two faculty members that can vouch for your competence.
- Write a brief paragraph describing your reasons for wanting to conduct summer research.
- Identify which department you would like to apply to.