It's time to start thinking about hiring your student workers for the fall semester. We've got all the steps you need to be successful and a few key things to remember right here.
How to Hire a Student Employee for Fall 2014
- Fill out a student staffing request form.
- Interview potential candidates.
- Conduct an employment reference check on top candidates and contact HR to verify if student is eligible for rehire at Wesleyan.
- Complete a Payroll Requisition for each student and submit to HR. Fall dates go from 08/01/2014 to 12/31/2014.
- Send student into HR to fill out new hire paperwork. I-9 documents need to be completed within the first 3 days of employment.
- Fill out an account request form for student.
- Contact Katie Brozek, HR administrative assistant, to remove your student position off the HR website. If you have any disciplinary questions, contact Human Resources.
How to Re-hire a Student Employee
- Contact HR or Financial Aid to verify if student has work study aid.
- Complete a Payroll Requisition form for each student, sign, obtain next supervisor’s signature, and submit to HR.
- If you have any disciplinary questions, contact Human Resources.
Things to Remember
- Work study funding will be available only for fall & spring to qualifying undergraduate students who are enrolled at full-time status (12 hours).
- Students with work study aid will be authorized to work up to 15 hours a week during the regular academic year. They are also allowed to work 5 hours a week as a student assistant (budget permitting).
- Student assistants are authorized to work up to 20 hours per week during the regular academic year.
- All work study students have 30 days, from the start of the semester, to find a position before their work study funds are reallocated.
- International students need a letter from Human Resources demonstrating an employment offer from the University. They will need to submit this letter to the Social Security Office to request a social security number prior to starting employment. This process usually takes between 4-6 weeks once the letter is submitted to Social Security.
- The finance division is validating funds are available for the designated budget, so it is imperative that you submit your payroll requisitions as soon as possible.
- Department GL numbers ending in 51210 are for federal work study students and 51211 are for student assistants. Please verify the GL number before you send to HR. If you do not have enough funds in either account, a budget transfer, which can be obtained from the business office, must be completed and submitted to the business office prior to sending the requisition to HR.