The Texas 86th Legislature, Regular Session passed Senate Bill 212 relating to reporting requirements for certain incidents of sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, or stalking at public and private institutions of higher education; creating a criminal offense and authorizing administrative penalties.
- Effective September 1, 2019, when an employee witnesses or receives information regarding an incident that the employee reasonably believes constitutes: 1) sexual harassment 2) sexual assault 3) dating violence; or 4) stalking allegedly committed by or against a student enrolled at or an employee of Texas Wesleyan University, the incident must immediately be reported to our institution’s Title IX coordinator or deputy Title IX coordinators.
- Effective January 1, 2020, an employee commits a criminal offense if they knowingly fail to make a report of witnessed, or received information regarding an incident that the employee reasonably believed constituted: 1) sexual harassment 2) sexual assault 3) dating violence; or 4) stalking allegedly committed by or against a student enrolled at or an employee Texas Wesleyan University, to the University’s Title IX coordinator or deputy Title IX coordinators.
If the University determines that an employee failed to satisfy their mandatory requirement, the University will be required by Texas law to terminate that employee in accordance with our disciplinary procedure.
The above offense under this Texas law is a Class B misdemeanor, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that the employee intended to conceal the incident that the employee was required to report.
Due to the reporting requirements of this new Texas state law, employees must attend a face to face training for mandatory reporting to receive further details.
Trainings will be offered from 12:15 - 1:15 p.m. August 22 and August 29 in the McFadden Auditorium.
Title IX Coordinator:
- Angela Dampeer, associate vice president for human resources, 817-531-4403, Human Resources Office, Oneal-Sells Administration Building, 1st Floor
Deputy Tile IX Coordinators:
- Deborah Cavitt, purchasing director, 817-531-4298, Purchasing Office, Oneal-Sells Administration Building, 1st Floor
- Steven Trachier, associate athletic director and head women’s basketball coach, 817-531-4874, Athletics Office, Sid Richardson Building, 2nd Floor
- Dr. Dennis Hall - vice president of student affairs and dean of students, 817-531-4872, Martin University Center, 2nd Floor
- Dr. Steve Daniell, associate provost, Academic Affairs, 817-531-440, Provost Office, Oneal-Sells Administration Building, 2nd Floor
- Chelsea Sepolio, assistant dean of students, 817-531-4872, Martin University Center, 2nd Floor
- Chris Beckrich, director of security, 817-531-4911, Glick House, 2nd Floor