Meet your new dining hall: Dora’s renovation is complete
In addition to new and expanded serving stations throughout the hall, Dora's will offer a traditional serving line.
Rams, you're in for a treat.
The Dora's Dining Hall extreme makeover is complete, and the $1.7 million renovation transforms the Texas Wesleyan dining experience.
"Our 2020 strategic plan states that we will 'enhance the physical appearance of our campus and create a vibrant student life,'" President Frederick G. Slabach said. "Offering a first-class dining experience for our students is a key part of this plan."
Construction crews completely gutted the space, starting from the ground up. The historical, 1950s-style outer walls and windows are all that remain from the previous structure.
The inside is redesigned and modernized, providing a dining experience that has never been seen before at Texas Wesleyan.
Once the new furniture is installed, Dora's will seat 35 percent more students than before, to accommodate the growing population of students now living on campus.
- Expanded, central self-serve station for sandwiches, salads, pasta and pizza by the slice
- Sauté station
- Two drink stations on either side of hall, plus smoothies served on Fridays
- Electrical outlets at bar stool high-top tables where students can charge smart phones and laptops while they eat
- LED lighting technology to reduce energy waste
- Expanded serving station for cold breakfast, coffee and cereal
- Fully remodeled bathrooms
- Quartz countertops and upscale tile and brickwork throughout the interior
Artesian brick tiles surround the exterior of the new central serving station.
LED lighting technology reduces energy waste. Preserved exterior windows allow for natural light.
2020 Strategic Plan
Led by President Slabach, the campus improvement projects seen around campus are a part of the larger campus-wide 2020 Strategic Plan to give Texas Wesleyan a strong foundation for excellence.
In addition to campus enhancements, goals of the strategic plan include academic distinction, improving the student experience, advancing financial vitality and marketing and branding initiatives to improve the University's visibility. Strides towards these goals are visible through:
- Stories of student success and critical thinking
- Increase in overall applications and completed applications
- Increase in the number of students living on campus
- Campus-wide improvement projects and the Rosedale Renaissance
- Fiscal responsibility and budget planning
What are you working on that is helping the University reach its Strategic Plans? Email email@example.com to share your stories.