Skip to Content

About the TASFA

What is the TASFA?

The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is used to collect information to help determine eligibility for state financial aid programs that are administered by institutions of higher education in the state of Texas. Students that are classified as a Texas Resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are encouraged to complete the TASFA.

Should I complete the FAFSA or the TASFA?

I am a U.S. Citizen  
I am a permanent resident with an Alien Registration Card (I-551)  
I am an eligible non-citizen with an Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) showing one of the following: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Parolee (for a minimum of one year) or Cuban-Haitian entrant  
I do not meet any of the statuses above but I am classified as a Texas resident and am eligible to pay the Texas in-state tuition rate. My classification as a Texas resident is NOT due to an in-state scholarship or assistantship.  

TASFA Application

The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is available each year starting on Oct. 1.

2024-25 TASFA(English) 2023-24 TASFA (Español)
2023-24 TASFA (English) 2023-24 TASFA (Español)

Frequently Asked Questions

How is the TASFA different than the FAFSA?

The TASFA is a paper financial aid application that asks questions similar to the FAFSA. The biggest difference is that you will submit a TASFA to each college you apply for along with your parents' IRS Tax Transcript and a Verification Worksheet.

Who is eligible for the TASFA?

Students who are not eligible for federal aid through the FAFSA but are residents of Texas are eligible for state aid and may submit a TASFA.

How do I know if I'm a Texas Resident?

To be considered a Texas resident and qualify for state aid, students must meet these requirements (in accordance with SB 1528):

  • Reside in Texas 12 months prior to enrollment in a higher education institution.
  • Graduate from a Texas high school or obtain a GED in Texas.
  • Have lived in Texas for 36 months prior to high school graduation.
  • Sign an Affidavit of Intent to become a permanent resident. This must also be officially notarized.
What information is required to complete the TASFA?

You will need to gather the following information:

  • Your and your parents' date of birth and other personal information
  • Your taxes for the most recent year if you filed
  • Your parent's tax returns or tax transcript for the most recent tax year 
  • If you are a male from the ages of 18 to 25, complete the Verification of Selective Service
What documents do I need to submit along with my TASFA?

Generally, you will need to submit:

  • Your federal tax return or tax transcript for the previous year
  • Your parents' federal signed tax return or tax transcripts
  • Notarized affidavit
  • For males, proof that you are registered for Selective Service

Contact the Office of Financial Aid with any additional questions.

Am I eligible for the TASFA if I am an undocumented immigrant?

Undocumented or non-citizens may be able to be classified as Texas Residents for tuition purposes. If you are a Texas Resident, you qualify for state financial aid.

What if my parents are immigrants and they do not file income taxes?

If your parents live in the U.S. and work, they are required to file an income tax each year even if they do not have a social security number. Immigrant workers can apply for a Tax Identification Number (TIN) when they complete their income tax returns.

What is Verification?

Verification is a process in which colleges are asked to 'verify' or check that the information you supplied is correct. All TASFA students are flagged for Verification.

All this means is that you have to provide the Office of Financial Aid with your parents' tax returns/tax transcripts/proof of income along with the Verification worksheet. The Verification worksheet is available on Ramlink.

Verification worksheets ask for your parents' income or source of financial assistance, such as Social Security benefits. You and your parents will need to sign the worksheet and you must turn it back in to receive financial aid.