A Long Tradition of Historic Preservation
As Texas Wesleyan University is approaching 125 years of operation, we reflect on the history around us. Our historic campus is a reflection of original college, with many buildings that have stood the test of time. The Boyd House, for example, was built in 1895 and is still in use today.
“We are proud of our heritage as a part of east Fort Worth,” President Frederick G. Slabach said. "We have been an anchor in this community for 123 years. In just the past few years, we have seen positive signs of the beginning of aRosedale Renaissance.”
Texas Wesleyan has a longstanding tradition of preserving and utilizing historic buildings. Here are some examples:
Oneal-Sells Administration Building
Built in 1902, the building houses the president’s office, undergraduate and graduation admissions, and other student services.
This historic building was one of the first houses in the neighborhood. It was built around 1895, and is used by our art faculty.
Nicholas Martin Hall
Across from the Boyd House is the Ann Waggoner Fine Arts Building, which houses Nicholas Martin Hall. This majestic performance hall resides in what was originally the Polytechnic Methodist Church, which was built in 1909.
Polytechnic City Hall / Fire Station
Just south of Rosedale sits Polytechnic’s City Hall and Fire Station, which dates back 100 years to 1913. The University has plans to utilize this historic building for a business incubator. The building is structurally sound, which makes it economically feasible to renovate it.
Dan Waggoner Hall
Built in 1917, Dan Waggoner Hall is home to our School of Education.
Law Sone Fine Arts Building
The Law Sone Fine Arts Center houses our theater program. This building was originally constructed in 1947 to serve as the sanctuary for Polytechnic Baptist Church.
Maxine and Edward L. Baker Building
Five years ago, the university renovated the historic 1927 Baker Building for hosting events and serving as a community center.
The Baker-Martin House, a 1928 residence in the Riverside neighborhood, was moved to our campus. It is now home to the advancement and alumni offices.
Polytechnic United Methodist Church
Built in 1951-1952, the church building is an excellent example of collegiate Gothic Architecture. The top two floors are used by our School of Arts & Letters and the chaplain’s office.
Polytechnic Cemetery (east of campus)
Although the Polytechnic Cemetery is located a block east of campus, the University has provided upkeep to the property. The cemetery, designated as an Historic Texas Cemetery, dates back more than 150 years.