Networking is one of the easiest ways to get a job. All you have to do is socialize and talk to your friends. Three-quarters of all job openings are filled through networking.
Conventional Ways: "Pound the Pavement"
- Making cold telephone calls to employers
- Calling job hot lines
- Sending out hard copies of your resume
- Chatting with people
New Ways: "Pound the Cyber Pavement"
- Research companies online
- Contact employers by email
- Browse employers’ job listing pages
- Submit your resume electronically
- Cyber-chat directly with others in your field
Tips for Networking
- Tell everyone you know what kind of work you are looking for
- Join professional organizations in school or in the community
- Research shows that job-hunting success increases by using all these methods
- Understand the mission of the company and what exactly they do