Hatton W. Sumners Scholars selected for 2020/2021
On Friday, April 3, trustees from the Hatton W. Sumners Foundation interviewed candidates for its prestigious Sumners Scholars Program. The interviews were conducted on virtually on Zoom because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Texas Wesleyan is pleased to announce that the Sumners Foundation has named four students as Hatton W. Sumners scholars beginning fall 2020.
- Lexi Barlow (double majoring in English and Mass Communication)
- Carla Coronado (majoring in History with Secondary Certification)
- Steven Leach (double majoring in History and Psychology)
- Laura Ocana (majoring in Political Science with a pre-law emphasis)
In addition to a generous scholarship, Texas Wesleyan Sumners scholars attend the Texas Tribune Festival and the Sumners Student Policy Weekend each year. Scholars also have the opportunity to participate in various lunches and lectures sponsored by the Institute for Policy Innovation (IPI). Finally, as of spring 2019, scholars also serve the community through volunteer opportunities.
Normally, the trustees from the Hatton W. Sumners Foundation host a luncheon on campus in honor of the graduating scholars. Although they were unable to host this year because of the pandemic, we would like to recognize the following outgoing scholars and congratuate them on their success.
- David Amaya (Political Science)
- David Cason (Political Science)
- Nick David (Political Science)
- Bailey Dozier (History with Secondary Certification)
- Emilia Egel (History with Secondary Certification)
- Stuart Tennyson (Forensic Accounting)
The endowed Hatton W. Sumners Scholarship Program was established at Texas Wesleyan University in 1994. Since that time, many TXWES students have been honored as Sumners Scholars. The scholarship carries not only a significant stipend, but also various opportunities, such as participation in the Hatton W. Sumners Student Leadership Conference, the Texas Tribune Festival and various other events specifically designed to develop scholars' leadership potential.
For more information about the Hatton W. Sumners Scholarship, visit txwes.edu/academics/sumners.