Skip to Content

Applying for a U.S. Student Visa

Get your student visa

Most international students will require a student visa to enter the U.S. and attend school. Unless you are eligible for another visa status that permits studies, please follow the instructions below.

Admits outside the U.S. needing a student visa

Complete a Form DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application as soon as possible.

Most consulates allow individuals to apply for F-1 visas up to 120 days prior to the program start date listed on page 1 of your I-20. Print and bring the barcode page to your visa interview.

The online visa application additionally requires the digital upload of one formatted photo. We recommend you use a professional photo service to ensure your photos meet all requirements.

Next, visit the U.S. Embassy website to research additional instructions specific to your country.

Student visa applicants, with few exceptions, must schedule an interview appointment and pay the required fees based on the country-specific instructions on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website. Print out and bring a copy of your visa application processing fee receipt to your visa interview.

Please schedule an interview appointment for your student visa as soon as possible.

Required documents for your visa interview

  1. Form I-20 from Texas Wesleyan University
  2. Fee receipt for the SEVIS fee
  3. Current evidence of financial ability to meet Texas Wesleyan University's costs of attendance. Total monetary amount of financial statements must equal or exceed the amount listed in item 7 of your Form I-20 in U.S. dollars. Financial and sponsor statements should not be more than 30 days old. Examples of financial statements include:
    1. Official bank statements
    2. Certificates of deposit
    3. Earnings statements
    4. Tax records
    5. Letter of sponsorship from a corporation or other entity
  4. Evidence of English ability. Bring your TOEFL or IELTS scores
  5. Evidence of intent to depart the United States after completion of studies. Have a clear plan. Describe why, where, and what you plan to study in the U.S
  6. Passport from your home country valid for at least six months
  7. Printed barcode page from a completed Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  8. Completed Form DS-157 Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application (PDF), if you are male between the ages of 16 and 54
  9. Completed Form DS-158 Contact History and Work History (PDF)
  10. Two 2”x 2” photographs in the prescribed format
  11. Printed receipt of visa processing fee payment
  12. Any other documents required by your local U.S. embassy

Please note, that the issuance of U.S. visas takes time and may require several trips to the U.S. embassy or consulate. Begin this as soon as you can.

If you need any help at any time, please email

Admits within the U.S. already in student visa status

Apply to Texas Wesleyan University and secure admission for your chosen start semester.

  • Request transfer of your SEVIS record to Texas Wesleyan University [SEVIS code: DAL214F00021000.] from the institution you are currently attending PRIOR to the start of classes.
  • Report to the Texas Wesleyan University campus by the date indicated in your acceptance materials.
All other applicants

Students requesting a reinstatement to F-1 status should contact We regularly assist new students with status problems, and can additionally facilitate changes of nonimmigrant status.

Students in all other nonimmigrant visa categories will be contacted by International Programs if any additional information is required regarding their visa status.