Texas Wesleyan senior guard selected for slam dunk competition - Vote Deonte!
Texas Wesleyan University senior guard Deonte Jones is one of 16 basketball players selected for the 4th Annual “State Farm Dark Horse Dunker” Competition. Voting is now open in this bracket-style competition. Fans will determine the winner by voting daily on Facebook throughout the five-week competition. The champion will be announced March 17 and compete at the Slam Dunk Championship in Dallas on April 3.
The 16-player Dark Horse Dunker field is stocked with under-the-radar basketball players who possess the power, creativity and hops to compete against college basketball’s stars in the Slam Dunk Championship.
Jones, a senior from Charleston, MO, is in his first season with the Rams. He is currently averaging 13.3 points, 3.9 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game while helping the Rams to a 13-11 overall record. He is also a sharp shooter from beyond the arc and leads Texas Wesleyan with 77 three-pointers and a three-point percentage of .448. In a win over then second ranked LSU-Shreveport, Jones hit 8-of-9 three pointers to post 24 points while falling just one triple short of the school’s single game record.
The State Farm Dark Horse Dunker is a bracket-style elimination competition. Round One voting is open for two weeks and features eight head-to-head matchups. Winners will be announced Feb. 24 when Round Two opens. Voting for Round Two, the Semi-Finals, and the Finals will be open one week each. Fans can view a video of each dunker and cast their vote at Facebook.com/CollegeSlam.
The Round One matchups are:
- Jordan Adams (Western State Colorado University) vs. Chris Udofia (University of Denver)
- Kevin Anthony (Lycoming College) vs. Jonathan Ouegnin (Mercyhurst University)
- Glenn Bryant (Eastern Michigan University) vs. Mike Kaufman (Lesley University)
- Will Giddings (SW Minnesota State University) vs. Brison White (Northwestern State University)
- Manny Hernandez (Lynchburg College) vs. Kenny Williams (Angelo State University)
- Deonte Jones (Texas Wesleyan University) vs. Justin Simmons (University of Nebraska Omaha)
- Marcus Lewis (Easter Kentucky University) vs. Sam Johnson (Minot State University)
- Khobi Williamson (Hampden-Sydney College) vs. Jerran Young (Wright State University)
Previous State Farm Dark Horse Dunker winners include Corey Law (High Point University) in 2013 and James Justice (Martin Methodist College) in 2012. The 2011 winner, Jacob Tucker (Illinois College), went on to win the Slam Dunk Championship.