Participate in National Library Week April 10-16
Transform your ideas about the library: National Library Week 2016 has arrived. This year's theme is Libraries Transform. Join us to celebrate April 10-16. We will have a prize raffle each day and a game to test your knowledge.
National Library Week is a time to highlight the changing role of libraries, librarians and library workers. Libraries today are more about what they do, for and with library users as opposed to what they have for patrons. Libraries aren’t only a place of quiet study, but also creative and engaging community centers where people can collaborate using new technologies or just relax. Our library offers access to a variety of print and digital resources, including e-books, online databases, Academic Archive digital repository, the digital archive, access from mobile devices, in person or online.
Libraries of all types are evolving to meet the needs of the communities they serve. At the West Library, we are transforming by creating access to more e-books and digital subscriptions like Grammerly, Vocabulary.com and Rosetta stone.
National Library Week Activities at West Library
- Help us create our butterfly display by telling us what makes West Library great.
- Monday 4/11 Library Lob Game Today’s game will win you some great prizes so come by and show us your best toss located on the 1st floor from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. There's a raffle prize drawing at 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday 4/12 Shredded Book Contest (all day) Can you guess what book is in the jar by the door? There's a raffle prize drawing at 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday 4/13 Popcorn and Cuttering - Cuttering is part of the process Librarians use to create the call numbers on our books. We create an alpha-numeric code for an authors' last name based on a system designed by Charles Ammi Cutter. If you want to see how your name would look on a library call number, stop by today from 11 a.m. -2 p.m. There's a raffle prize drawing at 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday 4/14 Crochet demo and guess the book contest All day we will have a guess the book contest with prizes awarded! Crochet Demo 2:30 in the West Conference Room. Free yarn and hooks to participants! Limited quantities are available. There's a raffle prize drawing at 10:00 a.m.
- Friday 4/15 – How well do you know your favorite books? Can you identify a book by its first line? Stop by the library and test your skills! Contest 8:00 to 5:00. There's a raffle prize drawing at 11:00 a.m.