Calling all gamers, Esports wants you!
The newly minted Texas Wesleyan University Esports Program is now hosting tryouts to fill four new gaming teams: Overwatch, League of Legends, Hearthstone and Smash Bros 4. Competitions will take place in a designated area in Morton Fitness Center, but tryouts will be held virtually.
Contact Eugene Frier, executive director of Esports and Recreation, to set up your tryout time.
“This is going to be like any other sports team as far as scheduling practices, study halls and workouts,” Frier said. “The analytics and strategies that go into these games call for extensive review of each recruit and how they will be able to work together as a team.”
Workouts will be focused on overall health and wellness, as well as increasing reaction time and mental strength, while study halls will be enforced to make sure the athletes are remaining successful in the classroom. Coaches of each team will either be student captains or alumni. Along with a tryout, each recruit will undergo an interview process before being offered a spot on a team.
TXWES is also offering scholarships. You can read the full launch story with more information here.
*Contact Eugene Frier, email@example.com, to coordinate a tryout. Times are flexible.
Overwatch (each student will tryout for at least a two-hour block)
- Saturday, April 14, 6-8 p.m. and 8-10 p.m.
- Sunday, April 15, 6-8 p.m. and 8-10 p.m.
- Saturday, April 21, 6-8 p.m. and 8-10 p.m.
- Sunday, April 22, 6-8 p.m. and 8-10 p.m.
League of Legends (each student will complete at least three matches for tryouts)
- Tuesday, April 17, 7-10 p.m.
- Thursday, April 19, 7-10 p.m.
- Monday, April 23, 7-10 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 24, 7-10 p.m.
- Thursday, April 26, 7-10 p.m.
- Friday, April 27, 7-10 p.m.
- Saturday, April 28, 7-10 p.m.
Hearthstone (each student will tryout for at least one hour)
- Friday, April 20, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Sunday, April 22, 2-5 p.m.
Smash Bros 4 (each student will complete at least three matches for tryout)
- Friday, April 27, 2-5 p.m.