At Texas Wesleyan, our intentionally small campus has a Texas-sized reputation and a rich history.
Presentations & Grants
- Colantonio, S. (2012). Lose the training wheels. Presented at: Parent teacher association, Dallas, TX
- Busse, S., Belanger, J., Colantonio, S., Dillon, L., Enos, M., Hays, T., Kanterman, G., Miller, B., &
- Robinson,L.A. with Waugh-Graham, L. (Advisor) . APE Middle School Best Practices. Presented at: Texas Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Arlington, TX.
- Colantonio, S. (2011). What is APE? Presented at: Council for Exceptional Children Texas Woman’s University Local Chapter. Denton, TX.
- Colantonio, S. (2011). Response to Intervention in Adapted/Physical Education. Presented at: Texas Woman’s University Spring 2011 Student Teacher/Intern Professional Development Seminars, Denton.
- Belanger, J., Colantonio, S., & French, R. (2011). A survey of interest and need for an adapted physical activity taxonomy. Presented at: 88th American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance National Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Colantonio, S., & French, R., (2010). Bibliometric Analysis of Self-Perception of Children with Disabilities in
- Physical Education, Physical Activity, Sport and Play: 1890-2009. Presented at: 87th American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance National Convention, Indianapolis, IN.
- Colantonio, S. (2006). Critical Analysis: Adventure experiences and their effect on self-esteem, self-efficacy and self-confidence as it relates to special populations. Presented at: University of Wisconsin, La Crosse.
- Klein, R., & Colantonio, S. (2008). Lose the Training Wheels. Presented at: Private Practice Occupational Therapists of St. Louis, MO.
- Burt, T., & Colantonio, S. (2008). Lose the Training Wheels. Presented at: Special School District of St. Louis, MO.
- Colantonio, S. (2012). An Introduction to Adapted Physical Education and Sport. Presented at: Southwestern Assemblies of God University, Waxahachie, TX.
- Carano, S. (Not Funded, 2015). People for Bikes, $5, 000.
- Colantonio, S. (Not Funded, 2011). Kellogg’s Corporation, Determine retention of bicycling acquisition skills in individuals with disabilities, $50,000.
- Carano, S., Silliman-French, L., French, R., Nichols, D., & Rose, K. (Submitted, 2015) Development of a research taxonomy for Adapted physical activity. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly.
- Development of a research taxonomy for adapted physical activity (2014).
- Colantonio, S. (2012). Tips and Techniques on Learning to Ride Conventional Bicycles for Individuals with Disabilities. Published in proceedings: North American Federation of Adapted Physical Activity, Conference Manual, Birmingham, AL.
- Halvorson, L., Cavanaugh, L., & Colantonio, S. (2012). Pre-service teacher knowledge of special education: Best Practices. Published in proceedings: National Social Science Association, Conference Manual, Las Vegas, NV.
- Belanger, J., Colantonio, S., & French, R. (2011). Adapted Physical Activity Quality of Evidence Taxonomy. Published in proceedings: National Consortium for Physical Education and Recreation for Individuals with Disabilities, Conference Manual, San Diego, CA.
Research & Research Interests
- Acquisition of bicycle-riding skills in children ages 5-18 with and without disabilities who do not know how to ride
- Evaluating the quality of research and further development of the APAT
- Development of the Adapted Physical Activity Taxonomy (APAT) evaluating the quality of research
Certifications, Licenses & Memberships
- Certified Adapted Physical Educator
- Texas Teacher Certificate - EC-12 Physical Education (2020)
- Missouri Teacher Certificate - K-12 Health; Physical Education (Lifetime)
- Maryland Teacher Certification - K-12 Health; Physical Education
- FCC Radio Operator License: KG5ILC
- SHAPE America (Formerly American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance)
- Texas Association of Health Physical Education Recreation and Dance
- Missouri Association of Health Physical Education Recreation and Dance
- Council for Exceptional Children
- Council for the Blind
- Article Reviewer: Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly (2015)
- Grant Reviewer: Head Start Body Start (2010, 2011)