Your skills and expertise can change a student’s life. Get your degree in School Counseling and make a difference.
What are the admission requirements?
You can apply online. Here's what we consider during the admission process:
- All applicants must possess the intellectual, professional, emotional and social qualities necessary for successful completion of the program requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- One of the following requirements
- 3.0 cumulative GPA score or 3.25 over the last 60 hours
- An official GRE score report. Recommended achievement of 150 verbal, 142 quantitative and 4.0 writing.
- Mental health casework or field experience evaluated by current resume or vita, including outstanding recommendations by other professionals, may be evaluated for admission (A minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale is required to be considered on this criterion)
- Interview session with program faculty, if selected
Conditional Admission Requirements
Conditional admission may be granted to applicants who show potential for successful graduate work but have low scholastic standing.
- Conditional admission status will be for 12 credit hours in the program.
- Conditionally admitted students earning a grade less than a B in any of the courses within the first 12 hours will be dismissed from the program.
- Conditionally admitted students must request full admission status upon completion of 4 courses by contacting the Coordinator of Graduate Counseling Programs. Courses must be completed in no less than 2 semesters, no more than 3 semesters or within one calendar year.
- Deadline extended - Dec. 1
- Summer 2020:
- Fall 2020:
- Priority Deadline - April 1
- Deadline - June 15
Are you preparing for licensure?
In certain circumstances, you can take your required counseling and marriage and family therapy courses for licensure at Texas Wesleyan. Your situation is not uncommon, but we'll need to meet with you to learn more about your unique needs. Contact us and let's talk.
Dr. Linda Metcalf
Director of Graduate Counseling
A career in this field has specific eligibility standards to sit for a licensing exam. Before you start your degree, read our ineligibility policy.