Moving to Fort Worth? Here are 10 Fun Things to Do
Ready to unleash your inner explorer and conquer Fort Worth? If you’re moving to this vibrant city to attend Texas Wesleyan University, you’ll be able to be an endless explorer in a big city that has small town vibes. Check out some of the best and hottest (and we mean literally “hottest” in the summer … bring your water bottle) experiences Fort Worth has to offer.
1. Hit up the Fort Worth Stockyards
When you think of Texas, you might be picturing cowboys in western wear riding horses — and you can certainly find that in the Fort Worth Stockyards. Catch live rodeo shows, snap Instagram-worthy pics (like cattle walking down the street in the twice daily cattle drive) and get your own western gear.
2. Get artsy in the Fort Worth Cultural District
Fort Worth is home to several art museums — from the Kimbell Art Museum to the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth to the Amon Carter Museum of American Art. You can also catch a show at Casa Mañana, one of the largest performing arts organizations in Tarrant County.
Don’t forget, Texas Wesleyan has its own art gallery too!
3. Go wild at the Fort Worth Zoo
The Fort Worth Zoo is one of the top zoos in the nation. With over 7,000 native and exotic animals in both indoor and outdoor exhibits, there’s plenty of animals to visit! You can even get hands-on learning at the Texas Wild! exhibit that features animals from around Texas.
4. Chill at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden
Need a place to unwind and relax? The Fort Worth Botanic Garden has over 100 acres of lush gardens and several themed areas, making it a tranquil oasis to take a study break. The gardens have more than 2,500 species of plants, including some from Asia in the Japanese Garden.
5. Shop Sundance Square
Looking for the perfect place to shop, eat and explore? Check out Sundance Square. Located in Downtown Fort Worth, the square offers live music every weekend, plenty of dining options like Paco’s Mexican Cuisine and Melt Ice Creams and unique shops like Coleccion Mexicana that features hand-crafted artisanal goods from Provincial Mexico, Herstory, wearable art all made by women all over the world and Union Station that sells vinyl records, collectible skateboards and streetwear fashion.
6. Hang Out at Fort Worth’s Festivals and Events
Fort Worth knows how to have fun! Every year, the city hosts big events:
- Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo — the city’s oldest and largest public event that immerses you in rodeo action, livestock, horse shows and a carnival
- Main St. Arts Festival — the most popular event that showcases thousands of artists, dancers, musicians, food and more
- Mayfest — a weekend full of market vendors, food, carnival rides, art and more
- Fort Worth Fourth — the largest fireworks show in North Texas
- Lone Star Film Festival — a four-day festival that presents some of the most anticipated films of the year
7. Traverse the Trinity Trails
If you enjoy outdoor activities, head to the Trinity Trails system. With over 100 miles of scenic trails along the Trinity River, it's perfect for jogging, biking or having a picnic with friends. During warmer days, you can also head over to the Panther Island Pavillion and rent a kayak to explore the Trinity from a different angle.
8. Pose at the Insta-worthy Fort Worth Water Gardens
Head to the Fort Worth Water Gardens for the ultimate photo op. With stunning waterfalls and dreamy pools, it's a must-visit spot to level up your Instagram game.
9. Chow down on Fort Worth’s Food Scene
Treat your taste buds to Fort Worth's mouthwatering cuisine. Indulge in finger-licking Texas-style barbecue, savor cheesy Tex-Mex or dig into some cowboy-inspired dishes. Foodies, rejoice! Here are some unique and iconic Fort Worth area restaurants to get you started:
- Joe T. Garcia’s Mexican Restaurant
- Angelo’s BBQ
- Spiral Diner & Bakery — vegan comfort food
- Velvet Taco
- The Biscuit Bar
- Clay Pigeon — traditional meals made of fresh-from-the-field ingredients
10. Get Blown Away at Bass Performance Hall
From heart-pounding concerts to jaw-dropping Broadway shows, this place is a hotspot for the ultimate entertainment experience. Get lost in the dazzling lights, feel the energy of the crowd and let the performers transport you into a new world. Grab your crew, dress to impress and prepare to witness epic performances that will leave you speechless and craving for more.
Fort Worth is buzzing with endless adventures and experiences that will make your college years truly unforgettable. And if you don’t have a car parked on campus, don’t worry — here are some ways to get around the city from our campus.