Do more than go to class, get involved in the chemistry department. Joining a student organization helps you get to know other students in your major, build your resume and make connections before graduation. Check out your opportunities to get involved in the chemistry and biochemistry department.
Summer 2022 Science Research Internship
About the internship
The Summer Science Research Internship program is sponsored by the Sam Taylor Fund of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church and is given to the Biology Department for research on invasive species in the Tandy Hill Natural Area. This support brings undergraduate students together during the summer at Texas Wesleyan for an eight-week natural sciences research experience. Participants become familiar with the varied disciplines and methodologies used in natural science research.
This year, research on the community and population ecology of the alien invasive flora of Tandy Hills is offered to four students that have successfully completed introductory coursework in biology, chemistry and math. Students awarded the summer research internship are expected to work eight-hour days, four days per week for eight weeks. Compensation is $10.10 an hour. The program begins at 8 a.m. June 1 and lasts through Wednesday, July 29, 2022. Research activities will require the students to spend some time outside in the plant community and in the laboratory.
- Library and electronic research techniques
- Preparation for research
- Engagement with faculty mentors
- Research presentation skills
- Information and strategies for financial support in graduate school
- Advice on selecting a graduate school
During the internship you will:
- Work with a faculty mentor whose research interests are related to their own;
- Write a paper and poster based on the intern’s research results that can be presented at a regional or national meeting
- Develop a computer-assisted oral presentation and a research presentation to be presented at the conclusion of the program and that can be presented at a national conference
- Compete for a cash prize at the end of the summer research experience.
Students that have completed at least their freshman year, have a 2.25 cumulative grade point average, are majoring in biology, biochemistry, chemistry or other life science discipline and have the intention of pursuing education beyond the bachelor’s level are encouraged to apply.
How do I apply?
Submit the following information in a Microsoft Word document by email on or before May 25, 2022. Attach it to an email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify in the subject line you are submitting an application for summer research in biology at Texas Wesleyan University.
- Name, current major and overall GPA.
- List all college-level math and science courses you have completed by May 2022.
- Provide the names of two faculty members that can vouch for your competence.
- Write a brief paragraph describing your reasons for wanting to conduct summer research.
Research is a great way for you to apply what you learn in the classroom to real-world problems. In the chemistry department, you have the opportunity to get involved in many different undergraduate research projects. The undergraduate research is funded by organizations such as the United Methodist Church Sam Taylor Fellowships and the Robert A. Welch Foundation.
|||Tell Me More|
American Chemical Society
The American Chemical Society (ACS) is the world's largest scientific society and is all about supporting scientific inquiry. Student affiliate organizations bring students together to learn from each other and explore opportunities in science.
Through ACS, you'll have the opportunity to network with future employers and build your resume. The American Chemical Society also has a scholarship program where students can receive up to $5,000 a year.