Is graduation coming up? Are you looking at taking your licensing exam to be a Licensed Professional Counselor Intern? We have the details you need. Take a look at how the process works and what you can do to start preparing.
You cannot take or apply for the exam until after graduation.
If you are finished in August and walking in December, you can apply for the exam the week after the last day of classes. This is to make sure all classes appear on your transcript. You must have a completed transcript to submit.
After you have completed all of your coursework and have received grades in all of the classes including Practicum I and II
If you're applying for licensure after Sept. 1, 2005, must pass the National Counselor Examination (NCE) and the Texas Jurisprudence exam before submitting an application to the board. To register for the NCE, you must submit an exam registration form, the exam fee and a copy of your transcript showing you've completed a master’s degree in counseling to the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC).
All forms and information are on the Department of Health and Human Services website.
Step 1: First, you need to submit a transcript online. You'll want a total of at least 3 transcripts ($7 each)
Step 2: Next, you'll need to sign up for the exam online. When you sign up for the exam, you'll have to pay the test fee of $275.
The total cost of your transcripts and test fee is $296.
Are you ready to start studying for your exam? We have a few resources for you to get started with.
- NCE Exam Prep
- Dr. Howard Rosenthal’s 2017 Encyclopedia of Counseling, The Authentic Purple Book, 4th Edition
They have made it easy and all the information and paperwork is in one packet
- Before filling out packet make sure you have a copy of transcript
- Proof of Passing National Exam. You'll have to make a copy of your letter
- Proof of Jurisprudence Exam
- Fill out packet the LPC Application Packet
- Included in the packet, you'll need to fill out an LPC Practicum Form for every offsite (including TWCCC) for each practicum semester. There is only one form included in the packet, so you will have to make copies of it
- Copy of Supervisor’s renewal card. This is included in the packet of paperwork to send in
- Send your $200 fee with the packet
The total cost of applying for your license is $246.
Mail everything to:
Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors
Mail Code 1470
P.O. Box 149055
Austin, Texas 78714-9055
In order to change your license from LPC-l to LPC, you'll follow these three steps.
- Fill out the Supervised Experience Documentation Form online to be sent in with the application
- Fill out your application for licensure online
- Pay your $160 fee for the application
The total cost of changing your license is $160.
Keep in mind, when you're upgrading your license from a temporary license (intern) to a full LPC you will need to submit the supervised experience documentation form and if you applied for the LPC-Intern license before May 1, 2012, you will need to submit the upgrade fee of $106.00.
If you applied after May 1, 2012, for the intern license there is no fee due at this time. You do not need to submit a new application if your temporary license is still current. This will only delay the processing of your file and cost an additional $98.00 that is not due. The processing time is normally 3 to 4 weeks. You will be notified by mail if there are any deficiencies.
LPC – LPC-S
|Supervisor Application||Supervision Master Checklist|