Already working on your education degree? Consider the 5-year option, where you will earn a bachelor's and a master's degree with just one extra year.
With our 5-year program, you can earn a bachelor's and a master's degree in less time. You can begin teaching after you earn your bachelor's degree, so you have the freedom to start your career right away. A year later, you will graduate with a master's degree, which gives you an advantage in the job market.
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of Education
- Bachelor of Science/Master of Education
Eligible Bachelor Programs
- EC-6 Bilingual
- EC-6 Generalist with ESL
- Liberal Studies with EC-6 Education Cluster
- Biology with Secondary Certification
- English with Secondary Certification
- History with Secondary Certification
- Spanish with Secondary Certification
- Gifted and Talented Education
- Second Language Education and Culture
- 90 hours of undergraduate work completed (You can start planning to pursue the 5-year option at any point, but you cannot formally apply until you’ve finished your junior year).
- 3.0 minimum grade point average or a score of 900 or higher on Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Two letters of recommendation from educators or employers, showing that the applicant is motivated to achieve, can contribute to the learning process, will bring real-life experience to the program and will enhance the overall experience of other graduate students
- Two additional letters of recommendation from Texas Wesleyan undergraduate education faculty members
- Professional resume or curriculum vitae
- Interview with Graduate Admissions Faculty Committee
- Writing sample to demonstrate English proficiency, critical thinking and writing skills
- To begin in the spring you must apply by Oct. 1.
- To begin in the summer or fall you must apply by Feb. 15.
- You will graduate with your bachelor's degree and can start teaching right away.
- Graduate classes complement a teacher's schedule. Evenings during the school year and daytime during the summer.
- You can complete your master's degree with only 30 hours rather than the traditional 36 hours.
- Graduating with a master's degree makes you more competitive in the job market. Plus, you could earn teaching experience while completing graduate work.
- Community college instructor
- Gifted and Talented teacher
- Reading specialist
- Teacher for English abroad program
- English instructor for adult learners
Gifted and Talented Courses
- Assessment and Measurement of Gifted Learners
- Social and Emotional Needs of Gifted Learners
- Curriculum Development for the Gifted and Talented
- Foundations of Reading
- Diagnosis and Remediation of Reading Difficulties
- Developing Literacy
Second Language Education and Culture
- Cross-Cultural Communications
- Applied Linguistics
- Language Acquisition