The "Smaller. Smarter." Promise Scholarship is for students who transfer to Texas Wesleyan from a regionally accredited college or university with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average and 42 credit hours. The award covers 100% of tuition, excluding fees, for students who meet all of the requirements.
When you apply for admission, you automatically apply for the scholarship.
When is the deadline to apply?
- Dec. 1 if you plan to start classes in January
- June 1 if you're starting in August
By the deadlines:
- Apply and be admitted to Texas Wesleyan
- Submit the FAFSA and all other financial aid forms to the Office of Financial Aid (our FAFSA code is 003645).
- You need to submit the enrollment deposit and sign up for orientation
- If you don't accept the scholarship, it could result in the scholarship being canceled
You also need to:
- Be eligible for the full amount of Federal Pell Grant (zero Estimated Family Contribution) Students must be 100% Pell Eligible for the full academic year. For 2018-2019 Full Pell is $5,920
- Pell has a limited lifetime eligibility. You cannot receive Pell for more than 6 years which includes all colleges attended.
- Transfer at least 42 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university with a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average
- Final transcripts must be received before the first day of class of any fall or spring semester to be eligible for the scholarship
- Complete the FAFSA and all other documents before the first day of classes for renewability
- Be a first-time Texas Wesleyan student
- Enroll at Texas Wesleyan full time (12-16 hours each semester)
- Maintain a 3.0 overall grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) each semester
You're not eligible if...
- You're completing a second bachelor's degree
- You're in the graduate portion of a 5-year dual degree program
- You receive veterans benefits or waivers
The Smaller. Smarter. Promise award is valid until the student graduates from Texas Wesleyan as long as he/she maintains full eligibility for the Federal Pell grants, enrolls full time (12-16 credits) and successfully passes at least 12 credits each semester and maintains a cumulative 3.0 GPA each semester at Texas Wesleyan University. This scholarship is awarded for fall and spring semesters only.
For renewability of this scholarship, the Office of Financial Aid must receive a completed FAFSA and all verification must be complete by March 15 to be eligible for the Smaller. Smarter. Scholarship to be renewed. If you don't meet this deadline, the scholarship will not be renewed; however, you will be eligible for other financial aid. If the student fails to meet the renewability requirements, the scholarship will be canceled. There is no appeal process for the loss of the Smaller. Smarter. Promise Scholarship. If the scholarship is canceled, he/she may still be eligible for other financial aid programs at Texas Wesleyan. The student will be notified by email if their scholarship is canceled.
The award is a combination of grants, including the Federal Pell Grant and all other federal, state and institutional scholarships and grants, to pay 100 percent of the cost of tuition for the fall and spring terms. It replaces all other previously awarded aid. You must turn in a signed letter for this scholarship prior to the first day of classes in fall or spring semester to be eligible for the award.
Students should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at 817-531-4422 for information concerning the admission application process.